Sunday, March 11, 2012

All day travel

Today was filled with travel. I caught a ride with a fellow traveler from Hotel Chirripo in San Isidro, Costa Rica to Garita, C R outside of San Jose, C R. I figured I would go as far as I could toward my destination as possible, rather than go into downtown San Jose and leave from the bus terminal. Plus I rechecked the schedules this am and realized I had read them wrong the night before. By the time I got to San Jose the buses for my destination would have already left for the day. Ahh, plan B. So not really knowing where to catch the bus, of course I have to start asking, so to start I asked the two ladies in the park where we ate lunch, at first they had no idea, a few minutes later one of them came over after searching with her phone and tried to explain. Then while my ride got gas, I just had to ask the Costa Rican surfer dude (he did speak English). So heading in the same general direction. Well, when I asked at one of the stops along the supposed route, I didn't really get the answer I was looking for. Then we stopped at a fancy hotel and I got directions in English. So go down to the Hwy. walk down the on ramp and to the bus stop. Oh, yeah that worked real well. NOT! So I'm walking and it doesn't look like there will be any bus stop for quite a while. So I stick out my thumb. I was blessed to have a nice family pick me up and explain (one gal had worked in the U.S) that there is no stop for a long time on this road. Next time I'll go to the terminal to catch the bus. So she is using her phone to figure out where to put me on the bus. They drove out of there way, through other towns to get to there destination. So in Naranja, C R they put my on a bus to San Carlos, C R just before it left the curb. Less than $3. They didn't really have time to explain that I would have to switch to another bus to go to La Fortuna, C R. Of course I have to start asking and I figure it out. It all went very well, in San Carlos I got off one bus and walked two buses down got on and left with in a couple of minutes, which doesn't usually work that way. Everything is for a reason, I don't always know why, it always works out. I had forgotten to write down where I was going to stay for the night, again ask, ask, ask! I found the place, cooked some diner and am settled for the night. Tomorrow, start over. Hopefully I'll get to see Arenal Volcano, it was in the clouds when I arrived.

No comments: