Monday, February 6, 2012

Connection-community

Well today really is the first day of the rest of ours lives. I knew where I was going, however didn't know where the small journey would take me.So I leave the Hostel to go to the Pali (Wall Mart Centro America). What I didn't know when I left was that the small vendors (marketeers) would be out on the street today also. Thought it was just a Sunday thing. All I wanted was a loaf of bread. So I took the little detour to see if I could get close to what I wanted locally. Yes I can. After my fruit and bread purchase, the bill I had was a little large for first thing in the am. Being a trusting (sometimes too trusting) person I was trying to explain that I would come back later for the change. At first she misunderstood and was fine with not giving any change. So "Uncle Sam" (a bystander) told me she speaks English. While we were conversing she came up with my change. Anyway he can use to practice his English and I can use to practice my Spanish so we'll meet later and practice. That put a little smile on my face on the walk back to the Hostel. I felt the same connection on the bus from Costa Rica yesterday. One of the passengers played a little guitar, and when he got off he stood at the front of the bus and turned and said good bye to all, and of course we all bid him hasta llego. It was like saying good bye to a close friend. So of course when it was my turn to get off, with another passenger, we were both bid a big farewell. On another note, skypeing with my daughter yesterday we were talking about the culture and how some of the garbage goes everywhere. I told her after purchasing an ice cream on my walk I held the wrapper for a good part, till I found a garbage can. She mentioned that it's some ones job to clean up the street daily (at the time I thought to my self really?). Then this am, yes the street were being cleaned of all that garbage. Again, another little silly smile. I found myself keyed up before the trip, was more relaxed after booking, planning, reassuring my self what's the worst that can happen, miss a bus have to spend a night somewhere? WHOA!!!

No comments: